The clocks have gone forward and its now officially Springtime here in Sydney, which means:
1. The daily temperature varies between 21-34 degress and the humidity is starting to creep up. You want to wear a light summer dress to keep cool, but then the wind picks up and you find yourself with a face full of cotton print and al fresco nether regions as you walk down the street. A little disconcerting.
2. The Great Divide between Those Who Tan and Those Who Don’t makes itself evident once again.
3. Christmas decorations are appearing in the shops. As well as insect repellant and swimwear… weird.
4. There is a Biblical Plague of Flies.
5. Everyone wants to eat chilli prawn salad rather than meat pie and mash. Except me and my friend Jasmine, we hold no truck with critters who tread water beside sewage outlets with their mouths open*. Give us pie and mash. And peas and a shandy and some cheese twisties. 🙂
6. Its too hot for a cuppa by 11am. And the beer is nice and cold. I can now drink 3 whole pints of shandy without falling over, such is my increased tolerance for alcohol since living here.
7. You have to stay on top of the female maintenance work… toenails on constant show, ditto legs and underarms.
8. Its men versus women in the freezing air-conditioner versus breezy windows-open office debate. So far its 2-1 to the men even though they’re outnumbered because they’ve hidden the control unit… Apparently, this democracy by majority lark has its limits and sweat dripping down one’s back marks one of them.
9. Trees are blooming with gay abandon all over the city so I walk through an avenue of stunning purple Jacarandas every day on my way to work. Keep thinking “must stop and take a photo”.
10. The cicadas have started to serenade each other by buzz-saw every evening. ‘Green Grocers’ are the loudest cicadas in the world and they live here, mostly in the palm tree outside my bedroom window.
What’s it like where you are?
*thanks Victoria Wood!