Archie wondered, and as I would do anything for him…
1. I have a photographic memory. My recall used to be 100%, especially of printed pages or images, but now (as my youth sags elegantly away from me) the bottom left parts of things are little fuzzy.
This photographic memory does not extend to numbers. Unless they are dates. So, if a page of text is written thus:
There were approximately 17,992 men stationed here in 1822, of which some 6,800 were from the 16th, 21st and 11th Battalions. They had covered 903 miles carrying 46lbs each.
I will see and remember:
There were approximately big number of men stationed here in 1822, of which some another big number were from the blahth, blahst and blahth Battalions. They had covered lots of miles carrying a heavyish? weight each.
2. I only realised this photographic memory was weird when I was about 12. Up til then, I thought everybody who was asked a question by a teacher in class just mentally recalled the relevant page from their school books and copied the answers therefrom. Pretty much as soon as I realised this, I learnt to shut up about it.
3. As a result of this weird memory, I know a shit load about Theropod Dinosaurs, Sharks both modern and prehistoric, Ancient Rome, Ancient Greece, the History of Art, Human Evolution, fashion in Regency England, some Insects and Spiders, and Alluvial Sink Dolines (don’t ask) among other things.
4. I had an imaginary friend called Chelft when I was little. He was part man, part dog… still my ideal friend really, since I value loyalty, honesty, courage and cheerfulness highly. And a soft pelt.
5. I have a litter-trained house rabbit as a pet, although we are currently separated by many miles of ocean. 😦
6. I once wrote a Mills & Boon romantic novel.
7. My skin marks very easily so I wake up every morning with the imprints of creased sheets all over me like some weird sleep-state map. If I rest my hands on any hard textured surface for more than a few seconds, they will pick up the pattern like a mould. I could be very useful to the Police Forensics teams of the world…