The lovely Ombudsben tagged me a few days ago, and I thought I’d posted in response but clearly I am losing the few marbles which remain to me faster than I thought, because I didn’t. But I will now.
1. I have two pop-up cardboard Roman gladiators on my desk. One is a Retiarius and the other is either a Murmillo or a Secutor, I think. I keep them because I like the illustration style (realistically detailed but dramatic, like a good Graphic Novel) and because I like the Romans. Or at least, I’m sure I would have liked some of them, had I ever met any. I’m fascinated by their culture – so similar to ours in many ways… except for, you know, the absence of men hanging from crosses along the side of main roads and the fact that we have stirrups and loo roll.
2. I have a secret passion for Georgette Heyer novels.
3. I sleep naked. I also shower and bath naked. I don’t go to work naked.
4. I own more than 1,300 books and they are arranged on the shelves by colour. Anyone who thinks that is a stupid way to order books is an idiot. It works perfectly: I think “I want that book about the ship voyage with the dark blue cover, so it will be with the blue books, at the dark blue end. Ah, yes, there it is.”
5. When I was little I apparently shared my bed with a crocodile. The deal was that so long as I kept my legs curled up in my half of the bed, all was well… This, I think, taught me a useful life lesson: establish the rules of a situation and the potential consequences of disobeying them upfront, then weigh up your options before doing anything radical like stretching yourself.
6. I have a long list of foods which I dislike: pineapple, anchovies, celery, soft cheese, capers, cow’s milk, dessicated coconut, cheesecake, strawberry icecream, dorritos, nachos, dill pickles, sour cream, wine, spirits, ale, bitter, lager (unless it has lemonade in it), any biscuit which doesn’t have chocolate in it or on it. However, if you go to the trouble of cooking and serving me these foods at your house, I will heroically do my best to consume them with an appearance of pleasure.
7. There is nothing random about me. I am entirely sequential; one might even say chronological.
I tag you.