1. When having your hair cut, instead of having to make inane small-talk about your holidays with the vapid muppet wielding the scissors or being reduced to flicking (in horror) through the only available ‘reading’ matter, viz. gossip and fashion mags, you can put in your headphones and watch downloaded episodes of Battlestar Galactica in peace. ‘Course, you’ll then only have yourself to blame if you end up with a mullet, having not paid close enough attention to the vapid muppet’s questions about just how ‘funky’ you wanted to look…
2. On your morning run, you can use the iTrail app’s GPS capability to plot your route on a Google Earth map or satellite image – thus demonstrating exactly how slowly you are, in fact, moving, you lazy cow.
3. You can use the Spend budget app to track how much you really spend on peanut M&Ms in any given month.
4. Tweetie – the iPhone Twitter client – will enable you to follow people you have never met, but have admired on TV or in films, and know what they are doing on the other side of the planet. This will help you to ignore your self-destructive urge to know what those people you have met but who are just not that into you are doing on the other side of the planet.
5. You can keep instantly up to date with the xkcd serialised electric skateboard race between Randall and Nathan Fillion (aka Captain Mal Reynolds). And if that reference means nothing to you, I sincerely pity you. Firefly rocks.