1. I have succeeded in growing my first ever lemons. Two of them. They’re on a baby tree in a pot on the balcony outside my office window. Those of you from the northern hemisphere will appreciate the exotic joy of this – though those of you native to sunnier climes probably remain unimpressed.
2. Danish Biochemist, my new downstairs neighbour, invited me to join him and some friends for a bbq on Sunday. They were all Danish scientists… which I’m beginning to think may, in fact, be the ideal combination of human traits: they’re warm and well-mannered with impeccable English, as are all Scandiwegians, and at the same time they are practical and intelligent and curious about the world.
I really rather like this guy. And his friends. And their children.
3. I got a good payrise yesterday. 7%. I’m happy about it. Hopefully it should mean that I’ll be able to have an actual holiday for myself this year, as well as heading back to the UK for my annual visit to friends and family. I’ll also clear my credit cards which took quite a bashing at the end of last year what with Christmas and flights back to Blighty etc.
4. Still no resolution to the job title issue though. What do I do all day? I will be continuing to commission and manage our illustrations and photos as well as managing our move into digital content. I’ll also carry on working on our RnD projects in development.
On top of that, and in order to address the problem of my role being somewhat outside the ‘normal’ editorial career path in publishing, I will be Project Managing and acting as Editor on our new Animal Planet children’s Animal Atlas title this year.
All of which is great – varied and creative and interesting – but is rather too broad for the traditional job titles within publishing.
Perhaps even more trickily: we also have to tread carefully so as not to upset the feelings of others in the office – especially our current Senior Editor who is 20 years older than me and very jealous of her perceived position. The fact that she will never progress beyond the level she’s currently at is rather beside the point – I still have to work with her and I don’t wish to hurt her feelings or embarrass her.
So basically, we need to find a couple of words which sum up four things:
i) Art or Images
ii) RnD or Development or Digital or New Media
iii) Project Management and Editorial
iv) Seniority and parity with others in different roles at a similar level
… We’re stumped.
5. I’m feeling okay today but I had a couple of distinctly low and wobbly, over-emotional and apathetic days over the weekend. I think I’m over-tired and in need of a holiday and some proper food.
My dinner last night consisted of a bowl of coco pops, a multi-vitamin and mineral supplement, a fish oil capsule, a probiotic and an anti-histamine (I’ve been bitten again). For dessert I finished off a bag of crisps left over from the weekend. Oh, and I drank about a litre of water.
Dreadful, isn’t it? I did have steak and salad for lunch though – I tend to eat a proper meal for lunch and then can’t be bothered with dinner. I shall make more of an effort to cook this week…